Thursday 8 November 2012

Rio Grind Festival Part 1: John Dies at the End

Last Friday I had the priviledge of being at the BC premiere for the movie John Dies at the End, based on David Wong of Cracked.com's novel of the same name. I doubt I will be able to do much aside from gush about this film. In the theatre I was literally just sitting there with this goofy smile on my face. This is one of my favourite films I've seen this year. It felt like watching Naked Lunch, but it made more sense and I just fell in love with the dialogue. The film was so enthralling that I was barely able to take many notes so all I can tell you are a few of the random things you will see watching the movie.

A cover of the original novel.

So our narrative begins with a great riddle to do with an axe and incase you were wondering I'm not going into great detail because I want you to actually watch the movie. Next we meet our hero David Wong who, while looking like a more attractive Tobey Maguire, does not look very asian at all... and they actually address it in the movie.

Note the not asian-ness.
Of course the main characters of David and John just get even awesomer when it turns out they are paranormal investigators and end up fighting a meat monster! That's right a monster made of tasty delicious meats like ribs and steaks. After only fifteen minutes of watching this movie I decided that I had to read the book. Next we encounter a mystical Jamaican who decided the best way to use his magical powers is to get free beers, logical right? It especially makes sense when you're on the sauce, soy sauce that is.
I wrapped it in Old Testament.

We are also treated to a driving dog and 3D glasses that let you see into another world. Also the practical effects were great, the CGI at points was not the greatest, but it was far outnumbered by the practical stuff. I was also introduced to a new and worst form of death called arachnicide. I am now going to leave you with two quotes from the movie: "It may not kill him, but it will sure fuck his shit up" and "If Franz Kafka was here his head would explode."

Makes me want to take up welding.

When this movie comes out in theatres GO SEE IT. Also Paul Giamatti is in it, so you know it's legit. Watch the trailer if you don't believe me, just know it's so much better than the trailer.


No comments:

Post a Comment