Wednesday 7 November 2012

Resident Evil: Retribution (or I think there are too many Resident Evil movies)

Now this review is on the late side as I am sure Resident Evil is no longer in theatres, but I had far more pressing things to blog about so it was put on the back burner. Anywho, this is the fifth instalment of the franchise loosely (very loosely) based on the hit video game series. There will be spoilers so only read on if you are ok with that.



I will give the movie this, I was thoroughly satisfied with the beginning. The whole "rewind" concept in the first scene was pretty neat, although of course done before I'm sure. Then the scene with suburban life felt like an homage to the Dawn of the Dead re-make with some very believable acting coming from Milla Jovovitch.


It took a while, but Alice does get a new corset and super tight outfit (which is not bullet proof). While we are on outfits it was an interesting to place the new female character in a red dress that bore a striking resemblance to Alice's in the first movie. While on the topic of girls this movie does make sense of the opening scene in the previous movie. Clones, who'd've thunk it. We also find out that many countries actually had purchased the T-virus for bio-weapons, so there wasn't just an outbreak in Racoon City, now everything just jumped up a level in plausibility.
Get your own outfit bitch.
Something I have never seen before were the Comi zombies. Clearly they just knew they weren't going to be able to pull of Nazi zombies after Dead Snow so they went for the next best thing. The next thing they have is aqua zombies which I imagine would get quite soggy and bloated after some time.

Next onto the little deaf girl. For someone who is deaf she certainly speaks very well. Also she certainly looks a lot like the Red Queen. I don't trust her.

The final problem I had with this movie was the quality of the CGI gore FX. For a big budget film the blood splatter just looked so clearly fake (in a computery way, not a fake blood way). The last time I can remember this kind of FX disappointment was in Wolverine Origins, but I won't get into what angered me about that film (it was nothing like the comic).

If you are going to see this movie, wait for it to come out on video and rent it as a group to minimize the amount you are spending to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment