Thursday 8 December 2011

My Macabre Mind: Why my Dad is AWESOME!

Last week was my Dad's __th birthday which I visited home for and so I have decided in honour of this awesome dude I am going to celebrate what makes him super fantastic great.

So my love of horror and science fiction pretty much comes from him. When I was little the family joke was that I thought Captain Jean-Luc Picard was my grandfather because Star Trek: TNG was on so much at my house. (I still think Patrick Stewart would be one of the best grandfathers ever.) Thanks to him I was had the amazing experience of seeing the holy trinity of Star Wars movies in theatres, and needless to say I was an Ewok for Halloween that year. Oh and to all you parents out there NEVER let you children watch the Ewok movie, only bad things will come of it.

Facepalming before the internet.
Probably what he did to influence me the most was our weekly Ren & Stimpy sessions when I was a toddler, after that it is a bit hard to grow up anything but a somewhat warped girl. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not complaining and am quite proud of who I am thanks to him. There was of course also Reboot and Buffy the Vampire Slayer to come a bit after the Ren & Stimpy years, so you know I was in good hands.

I remember the night he brought home a movie and I finally stopped being afraid of watching horror movies. I had enjoyed them for a long time and remember laughing at ones like the Grudge with him when I was a tween, but there was always massive amounts of dread on my part until the movie was actually playing. The movie that changed all that for me was Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror. I had actually told my dad "I'm too scared to watch that movie", but he still rented it and I am so glad he did. I was absolutely petrified to watch it because believe it or not I used to be really terrified of zombie movies. So he turned on the movie and even though I wasn't planning on I started watching it, started laughing and got sucked in. By the end of the movie I had a moment where I realized "What was I so afraid of?" and after that point horror movies now instil anticipation and excitement rather than fear of being afraid.

Dad, if you end up reading this just know you are the best Dad I could possibly have and you are just the bees knees.

Oh and he also has good taste in music as well.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah Reboot! I loved that show! (I never quite understood what was going on, but the vibrant colours kept my attention. :D)

    ReplyDelete